Tomato bredie is a Traditional South African Favourite... This dish is cooked very slowly which brings all the juicy tomato and meat flavours together.
Ingredients500g beef or shoulder of mutton, cubed
2ml freshly ground black pepper
1 onion, chopped
3 ripe red tomatoes
35g tomato paste
1ml chilli powder
2 gloves garlic, crushed
5 ml mixed herbs
200ml chicken stock
2 potatoes, diced
15 ml maizena
- Heat the oil and butter large saucepan until the butter discolours.
Stir-fry the meat in batches until brown. Remove each batch with a slotted spoon and keep aside.
- Season the browned meat with salt and pepper.
Brown the onions in the remaining oil.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, chilli, paprika, garlic, herbs and chicken stock
- Bring to a slow simmering boil.
- Add the prepared meat and simmer the bredie very slowly for 2 hours.
- Add the cubed potatoes and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Thicken the gravy with the maizena mixed with water.
Reheat and serve with rice or fresh bread