50g shelled pistachio nuts
5ml ground cinnamon
2ml mixed spice
50g castor sugar
500g packet phyllo pastry
170g melted butter
250ml castor sugar
juice of ½ lemon
15ml rose water
- Grease a large baking tin.
- In food processor blitz the nuts until roughly chopped.
- Add the spices and castor sugar and mix.
- Cut the phyllo pastry sheets to the same size as the greased tin.
- Cover the pastry with a damp cloth to prevent it from drying out.
- Brush 10 sheets of pastry with melted butter and stack them in the bottom of the tin.
- Sprinkle generously with the nut mixture.
- Brush another 5 pastry sheets with butter and arrange them on top of the nut mixture.
- Sprinkle over more of the nut mixture.
- Repeat 3 times more with 5 sheets of pastry topped with the nut mixture, ending with pastry.
- Using a sharp knife cut a diamond pattern in the top layer of the baklava (don’t cut all the way through).
- Bake in a preheated oven at 170 °C for 40 minutes.
- While the pastry is in the oven heat all the syrup ingredients except the honey, stirring continuously until the sugar has dissolved.
- Bring the mixture to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until syrupy.
- Add the honey. Pour the hot syrup over the baklava as soon as it comes out of the oven.
- Stand for at least 4 hours before serving.