1/2 cup flour
1,5kg de-boned stewing lamb, trimmed of excess fat and diced into 5cm cubes
3 Tblsp oil
1 onion, chopped
1/2 tsp thyme
1 ½ cups Guinness
700g potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters.
450g carrots, peeled and thickly sliced
3 Tblsp fresh parsley, chopped
- Pour flour into a mixing bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Dredge lamb in flour mixture, shaking off excess flour.
- Turn on the oven and heat oil over medium temperature in a large casserole dish.
- Brown the lamb on all sides, working in batches.
- Transfer the roasted lamb to a plate.
- Pour ¼ cup water into the pot, add the onion and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally with the wooden spoon, until water has evaporated and onion has started to become tender.
- Place lamb in pot and add the thyme, beer and 1½ cups water. Stir.
- Cover the ingredients and simmer for about 1-1½ hrs or until lamb is tender.
- Add potatoes, carrots and ½ cup water.
- Cook covered for about 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender and stew has thickened.
- Season the stewed lamb with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and stir in parsley just before you serve.
- Serve with fresh bread to soak up the gravy.