Warm up this winter with the most delicious free Rich Oxtail Soup… So full of meaty and vegetable flavours… Feel free to add any vegetable you desire!
2 onions, chopped
45ml cake flour
2 litres beef stock
6 bay leaves
10ml dried thyme
3 cloves garlic, crushed
500ml red wine
50ml tomato paste
4 large carrots, peeled & roughly chopped
6 celery sticks, chopped
16 baby potatoes, peeled & halved
80ml freshly chopped parsley (keep a little to garnish)
5ml grated lemon zest
- Heat some of the oil in a large saucepan and brown the oxtail over a high heat in batches.
- Reduce the heat and heat some more oil and sauté the onions until golden.
- Add the flour and stir until the mixture starts to brown.
- Stir in the beef stock and return the oxtail to the pan, add the garlic, bay leaves, thyme, sugar, red wine, tomato paste and half the carrots and celery.
- Bring to the boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for about hours.
- Remove from the heat and set aside to cool, then refrigerate overnight
- The next day, scrape off the fat that has settled on the surface of the soup and discard.
- Heat the soup and add the remaining carrots and celery and the potatoes.
- Bring to the boil, reduce heat and cook for another hour until the meat is “fall off the bone” tender.
- Add the parsley and lemon zest and season to taste.
- Remove the oxtail pieces from the soup with a slotted spoon.
- Pull the meat off the bones and return the meat to the soup and discard the bones.
- Serve garnished with some fresh parsley.
Serves 4 - 6