It is made with maize porridge (mieliepap) and a vegetable filling to ensure a juicy mouth watering savoury tart.
Porridge ("stywepap")1.25 litres water
625 ml maize meal
5 ml salt
2 tblsp butter
2 onions, finely chopped
1 tsp crushed garlic
1 tin chopped tomato
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tsp sugar
1 tin of sweet corn kernels (drained)
125g button mushrooms, sliced
5ml mixed hebs
Salt and black pepper
2½ cups of grated cheese
250 ml fresh cream
- Bring the water and salt to the boil.
- Add the mealie meal stirring continously.
- Cover with the lid, but stir every now and then.
- The consistency of this "stywe pap" should be stiff, but spreadable, so you can add either boiling water or maize until the consistency is correct.
- Simmer for 30 minutes until done. Stir in the butter.
- In a large saucepan heat the oil and fry the onion.
- Add the garlic and butter.
- Add the tin of tomato, tomato paste, sugar, chilli, salt and black pepper, simmer for a few minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and allow to soften.
- Add the corn and herbs.
- Use a wooden spoon or silicon spatula to smooth half of the warm "pap" into a greased, medium sized ovenproof dish.
- Add half of the filling on top of the pap and sprinkle 1 cup of the grated cheese over.
- Spread the rest of the porridge, followed by the remainder of the filling and then the cheese.
- Pour the cream over and bake at 180°C for an hour or until the tart is bubbling gently, and the cheese has browned.
- Serve warm.