Pavlova is a meringue cake with a light, delicate, crisp crust and a soft sweet marshmallow centre, topped with whipped cream and fresh fruit. The dessert Pavlova is named after the Russian ballet dancer Anna Pavlova. This free Pavlova Recipe makes the most amazing meringue that will melt in your mouth… Just the sight of this spectacular dessert will have your mouth watering in no time!
4 eggs, separated
pinch of salt
1 cup castor sugar
1 tsp white vinegar
½ tsp vanilla essence
1 level dessert spoon corn flour
strawberries or any fresh fruit
- Preheat the oven to 140°C and place the rack in the middle of the oven.
- Beat the egg whites and salt together for 6 minutes.
- Add castor sugar and vinegar.
- Add vanilla essence and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Fold the corn flour in very lightly.
- Wet a plate with cold water then heap mixture onto damp plate, make sure the edges are slightly higher than the centre so you have a very slight well in the centre.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until the meringue has turned a very pale, pinkish eggshell colour.
- Turn off the oven and leave the door slightly ajar to let the meringue cool completely.
- As the meringue cools it will crack slightly.
- Just before serving, take the meringue out of the oven and place onto a serving plate, with a spatula gently spread the whipped cream on top of the meringue and decorate with your choice of fruit.
Recommended: Fruit salad or passion fruit or strawberries or crushed pineapple.
Important tips ensuring a successful meringue:
- The most important thing is to have clean utensils, free of grease or eggshell.
- The egg whites must be room temperature before beating them.
- Pavlova’s have a habit of deflating and forming cracks when you open the oven. Just whip some extra cream to fill in the hole if this happens. It will still be a spectacular dessert.