7ml baking powder
180ml rolled oats
125ml brown sugar
50ml canola oil
10ml vanilla essence
2 large eggs
250ml blueberries fresh or frozen
30ml rolled oats
30ml brown sugar
15ml cold butter
- Mix the oats, sugar and flour together, gently rub the butter in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- In a large mixing bowl sift the flour, baking powder and pinch of salt together.
- Stir in the oats and sugar.
- Combine the buttermilk, oil and vanilla essence in a large jug, add the eggs and beat well.
- Pour the egg mixture into the dry ingredients and stir gently until a smooth batter forms.
- Add the blueberries and mix gently.
- Grease a 21cm greased loaf tin, pour the mixture into the tin and sprinkle the topping over the batter.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for about 50 minutes to an hour or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the tin for about 15 minutes then turn out onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely.