210ml lukewarm milk
445g white bread flour
7g instant died yeast
1 large egg, lightly beaten
50ml apricot jam
50g soft dried apricots, chopped
5ml ground cinnamon
5ml ground mixed spice
50g brown sugar
100g pecan nuts, chopped
- Mix the milk and butter in a saucepan and heat until the butter is melted.
- Remove from the heat and cool until lukewarm.
- In a large mixing bowl mix the flour, salt, sugar and yeast together.
- Mix the dry ingredients and beaten egg into the milk mixture to form a soft dough.
- Turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead for 10 minutes.
To knead: Fold the dough in half towards you and then push down and away using the heel of yourhand. Give the dough a quarter of a turn and repeat the kneading process, until the dough is soft and elastic. Alternatively you can use a food processor with a dough hook at a low speed.
Place the dough into a lightly greased bowl and cover with a damp cloth and set aside in a warm place to rise until doubled in size.
- Knead the dough again for a minute and then roll out onto a lightly floured surface to form a 40 x 22cm rectangle.
- Melt the butter and apricot jam and brush over the dough.
- Sprinkle with fruit, spices and half the nuts.
- Starting at the long side, tightly roll up the dough like a swiss roll.
- Cut into 9 even sized slices and place them next to each other in a greased, square 20cm baking tin.
- Cover the tin with a damp cloth and allow the buns to rise until they have doubled in size.
- Heat all the ingredients for a minute or until all the sugar has dissolved.
- Pour the topping mixture over the buns after they have risen and sprinkle with the remaining nuts.
- Immediately bake in a preheated oven at 190°C for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown and cooked through.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before removing from the tin and breaking apart.