1 onion, chopped
1 tsp crushed garlic
2 red peppers, seeded & chopped
2 cans chopped tomatoes (410g each)
20ml soft brown sugar
salt and freshly ground black pepper
a pinch of paprika or cayenne pepper
150ml cream or plain yoghurt
fresh chives, chopped to garnish
- In a large saucepan, heat the butter and fry the onion, garlic and peppers for a few minutes.
- Add the canned tomatoes.
- Season with sugar, salt, pepper and paprika or cayenne pepper.
- Bring the mixture to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cream or yoghurt and heat through.
- Blitz the soup if you prefer smooth soup.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with chopped chives.
- Serve with fresh bread.