300g red or yellow lentils, rinsed well
3 cups water or vegetable stock
3cm fresh ginger, sliced
2 bay leaves
2 cinnamon stick’s
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp cumin
½ tsp garam masala
½ tsp chilli flakes
2 tblsp lemon juice
salt to taste
2 tblsp chopped coriander leaves
- In large saucepan place lentils, ginger, bay leaves, cinnamon and 3 cups of cold water or vegetable stock.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for about 12 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Remove the ginger, bay leaves and cinnamon stick and set aside.
- In a large frying pan heat the butter over a medium high heat and fry the onion for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, turmeric, cumin, garam masala and chilli flakes and cook for a further minute.
- Stir in the lemon juice and season to taste with salt.
- Add the lentils to the pan, mix well and cook for a further 3 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the coriander.
- Serve hot with Biryani or naan bread or poppadoms