150g vermicelli rice
3 – 4 small red chillies seeded & chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 tsp crushed garlic
4 thin slice fresh ginger, finely chopped
2 stalks lemon grass root, roughly chopped
1 tblsp fresh coriander, chopped
1 tblsp peanut oil
3 cups chicken stock
2 ¾ coconut milk
500g chicken breast fillets, sliced into strips
4 spring onions, sliced
150g fried bean curd or tofu
1 cup bean sprouts
Salt to taste
3 tsp brown sugar
- Pour boiling water over the vermicelli and leave to stand for about 5 minutes or until the noodles are tender.
- Drain and cut into shorter length with a scissors and set aside.
- Remove the lime rind with a vegetable peeler and cut into long thin strips.
- Place the chillies, onion, garlic, ginger, lemon grass and coriander into a food processor and process for about 20 seconds or until smooth.
- In a large heavy based frying pan heat the oil, add the chilli mixture and cook for a few minutes (stirring frequently) until fragrance is released.
- Add the stock, coconut milk, lime rind and bring to the boil.
- Add the chicken and cook for a few minutes until the chicken is tender.
- Add the spring onions, bean curd or tofu, sprouts, salt, sugar and stir over a medium heat until the spring onions are tender.
- To Serve: Divide the noodle between the serving bowls and pour the soup over the noodles.
- Garnish with sliced red chillies (optional) and fresh coriander.