250g butter at room temperature
85g icing sugar
625ml cake flour
2 – 3 lemons
400g castor sugar
5ml baking powder
- Grease a deep cake tin (23cm x 23cm x 4cm) with butter and line the bottom with grease baking paper.
- Beat the butter and icing sugar until light and creamy.
- Add 500ml of the flour to the creamed mixture and beat or knead with hands until it forms a dough ball.
- Press the dough into the bottom of the prepared cake tin and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Place the cake tin into the oven and bake the crust for 15 minutes and remove from the oven and set aside to cool while you prepare the topping.
- Grate the zest of 2 lemons with a fine grater.
- Juice the lemons (about 90ml required).
- Beat the eggs and castor sugar until well combined.
- Add the remaining cake flour, baking powder, lemon zest and juice, beat well.
- Pour the mixture onto the baked crust and return to the oven for about 30 minutes or until the topping has set.
- Allow to cool in the cake tin, dust with a little icing sugar and cut into squares.