350ml brown sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1kg self-raising flour
10ml baking powder
200g all bran flakes
500ml digestive bran
100ml sunflower seeds
30ml sesame seeds
- In a saucepan melt the butter and sugar together, set aside to cool.
- Add the eggs and buttermilk to the butter mixture.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Add the bran flakes, digestive bran, raisins and seeds to the dry ingredients and stir in the egg mixture.
- Shape the dough into balls and place next to each other in a greased baking tray.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 170°C for 45 to 50 minutes.
- Turn out onto a wire cooling rack, cool slightly and break into rusks.
- Place the rusks onto wire racks and stand them on baking trays.
- Reduce the oven temperature to very low and return the rusks to the oven and allow them to dry out for 8 to 10 hours.
- Store the rusks in airtight containers.