2 star anise pods
6 egg yolks
60ml castor sugar
- Heat the milk, cream and star anise together until steaming.
- Fill a deep baking tray halfway with water and place it in the oven at 120°C.
- In another mixing bowl whisk together the egg yolks and the sugar.
- Pour the hot milk mixture through a sieve into the egg mixture, whisking continuously to prevent the egg from cooking.
- Pour the mixture into 4 ramekins almost to the top, carefully place them into water.
- Bake for about an hour, until the custards are just set.
- Allow to cool, sprinkle with castor sugar and caramelise with a blow torch or place them under a very hot grill to melt the sugar.
- Serve immediately.