750g chicken breast fillets
1 tsp crushed garlic
1 small onion, finely chopped
200g button mushrooms, thickly sliced
2 – 3 carrots, peeled and diced
1 tbsp flour
125ml chicken stock
150ml double thick cream
3 tbsp fresh chives, chopped
500g pack of butter puff pastry (brush ordinary puff with a little butter if you cannot find butter puff pastry)
1 egg, beaten
- Slice the chicken fillets into strips or cut then into bite size cubes.
- In a large pan heat the butter and fry the garlic and onions for a few minutes until softened.
- Lower your heat and add the slices/cubes of chicken and the diced carrot and gently simmer until just done. Be careful not to over cook the chicken, as it will become dry.
- Add the mushrooms and cook over a low heat for a few minutes.
- Stir in the flour, gradually add the milk and chicken stock.
- Add the cream and simmer until the sauce thickens.
- Stir in the chives and season with salt or some nice chicken spice.
- Roll out the pastry as thinly as possible.
- Grease a large pie dish and line the pie dish with the pastry keeping enough pastry to cover the pie and make a pretty design on the top of the pie.
- Pour the chicken & mushroom mixture into the pie dish cover with the pie with pastry, trim off excess pastry, press down and crimp the edges with a fork.
- Make a few pretty shapes with the left over pastry and decorate the pie.
- Brush the pie and the rims with beaten egg.
- Cut a couple of slits in the pastry to let the steam out.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 220°C for about 20 minutes, until the pastry is crisp and golden brown.
- Serve roasted vegetables or a tossed salad.