Biryani is a Traditional Indian spicy rice casserole made with spices, basmati rice, meat, fish, eggs or vegetables. This free South Indian Biryani recipe is so divine… A lovely dish to serve in winter.
2 cups Basmati rice
2 green chillies, ground
1 tomato grated
5ml mint, chopped
Salt to taste
125ml plain yoghurt
10ml garlic & ginger paste
1 cinnamon stick
2 white cardamoms
1 sprig curry leaves
2 onions, sliced
5ml garam masala
- Marinate the meat with the chillies, tomato, mint, turmeric, salt, yoghurt, garlic & ginger paste for an hour.
- Soak the basmati rice in cold water for 10 minutes, rinse, then cook in boiling salted water for 8 minutes, drain.
- Heat the oil and the butter in a large saucepan and fry the cinnamon, cardamoms, curry leaves and onion until brown.
- Remove a quarter on the onions for garnishing.
- Add the meat to the saucepan, cover and allow to simmer slowly until meat is tender.
- Add the garam masala and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Gently mix the basmati rice to the curry mixture.
- Garnish with cooked onions, cover and heat gently for 20 minutes.
- If mixture is dry pour over ¼ cup of water.
- Serve with tomato & onion sambals, chutney, sliced banana, Indian raita sauce or Dahl.
- Indian raita is a mixture of yoghurt & grated cucumber.
Serves 4 - 6