This free cream of tomato soup recipe is delicious… great to serve as a starter or as a main meal in winter with lovely fresh bread. The basil brings out the flavour of the tomato.
1 onion, finely chopped
2 sticks of celery, sliced
6 tomatoes, peeled & diced
2ml dried origanum
3ml dried basil
1 bay leaf
30ml tomato paste
50g butter extra
60ml cake flour
500ml warm milk
300ml vegetable stock
A little cream to serve
Fresh basil to garnish
- Heat the 30ml of butter in a saucepan, add the onion and celery and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the tomato, dried herbs, bay leaf and tomato paste.
- Simmer for about 15 minutes and then liquidize until smooth.
- In another saucepan heat the 50g butter, add the flour and stir for a minute.
- Stirring continuously add the warm milk gradually.
- Add the vegetable stock and stir until mixture has thickened slightly and is smooth.
- Stir in the tomato mixture and season.
- Pour into soup bowls, garnish with a drizzle of cream and a sprig of basil.
- Serve with fresh bread.