This free Hearty Beef & Vegetable Soup Recipe is tasty and full of nutrition… Juicy beef, vegetables and barley… What more could you need to chase away the winter blues!
1kg meaty beef bones
2 onions, chopped
2 celery sticks
1 tin chopped tomatoes
2l beef stock
1 sprig of thyme
50ml parsley, chopped
1 turnip, cubed
500g mixed vegetables of your choice, chopped
100g barley or red lentils
- In a large saucepan heat the oil and add 1kg meaty beef bones and brown on both sides.
- Remove from the saucepan and set aside.
- Add the chopped onions and celery sticks, fry for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and beef stock.
- Add a sprig of thyme and chopped parsley.
- Return the meat bones to the saucepan, bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours.
- Add the turnip, mixed vegetables and 100g barley or red lentils.
- Simmer for another 20 minutes.
- Remove the bones, pull off the meat and return the meat to the soup.
Serves 4 - 6