1kg onions, peeled & finely sliced
2ml dried thyme
1,25l beef stock
salt & pepper to season
1 French loaf
150g grated Gruyere or mature cheddar cheese.
- In a large saucepan heat the butter, add the onions and thyme and cook over a low heat for about 15 to 20 minutes until onions have browned.
- Add the beef stock and simmer for about 15 minutes and season.
- Cut a French loaf into thick slices and toast on both sides under the grill
- Spoon the onion soup into individual soup bowls and float the toasted slices on the soup.
- Cover the toast with grated cheese and drizzle with melted butter.
- Place under the grill until the cheese is bubbling and then serve.