250ml self-raising flour
pinch of salt
250ml ice-cold lager beer
oil for deep-frying
6 frozen hake fillets, skin removed while frozen
flour for sprinkling on top
salt and pepper
1-2 lemons, cut into wedges to serve
- Combine the flour and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Add about ¾ of the beer or just enough to make a drop batter the consistency of cream.
- Chill until needed.
- Heat enough oil in a pan for deep-frying.
- Season the fish with salt and pepper and dust with flour.
- Dip two or three fillets in the beer batter and let the excess batter run off.
- Put the fillets in the heated oil and fry for a few minutes on each side until fish is cooked, crispy and golden.
- Keep warm while you repeat with the remaining fillets.
- Serve with baked potato wedges, lemon wedges and a tossed salad.
- Scrub 3-4 potatoes well and cut into wedges.
- Put the wedges in a roasting pan and sprinkle with salt and drizzle with oil and roast in a preheated oven at 200°C until golden and done.
- Turn the wedges a few times with a spatula while they’re cooking.