125g cake flour
Pinch of salt
2 large eggs
15ml melted butter or oil
4 large cooking apples, peeled & cored
10ml lemon juice
Flour for coating
Oil for deep frying or 1 cm deep for shallow frying
- Sift the flour, cinnamon and salt together in a bowl.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour, add one egg and the egg yolk of the second egg, melted butter, milk and sugar.
- Mix with a whisk until smooth, then beat well and chill for 30 minutes.
- Cut the apples into 1cm slices and coat with lemon juice, drain and dust with flour.
- Beat the remaining egg white until stiff and fold into the batter.
- Heat the oil.
- Coat 2 or 3 pieces of apple at a time in batter.
- Lift each piece of fruit out individually with a straining spoon and slide into the hot oil.
- Fry until golden brown, the oil should not be too hot, because the raw fruit needs to cook through.
- Drain on a paper towel and dust with castor sugar and cinnamon before serving.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream.