50ml oil for frying
300g Russian sausages or any spicy sausage, sliced
300g deboned chicken thighs
2 onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 red pepper, seeded and diced
1 red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
350ml white rice
100ml white wine
1ml saffron strands, soaked in ± 1 litre chicken stock
4 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced
100g fresh or frozen peas
salt and freshly ground black pepper
300g seafood mix
12-14 shelled prawns, washed and deveined (optional)
15ml lemon juice
12-14 fresh mussels in their shells, scrubbed, or frozen mussels in their shells
30ml chopped fresh parsley
1 lemon, cut in slices or wedges to garnish
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based saucepan and brown the sausages and chicken. Remove with a slotted spoon.
- Add the onions, garlic and red pepper to the pan and sauté until soft.
- Add the chilli and rice and stir until the rice grains are coated with the oil.
- Add the paprika and the wine.
- Add the Saffron water as soon the mixture starts to bubble.
- Stir gently, add the sausages and chicken and simmer until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Stir in the tomatoes and peas and season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Spoon the seafood mix on top and steam for 6 minutes or until done and then stir very gently.
- Heat the butter in a separate pan and fry the extra prawns for a few minutes or until they turn slightly pink.
- Sprinkle with the lemon juice and spoon onto the paella using a slotted spoon.
- Add a little white wine to the pan and steam the mussels until they just open.
- Spoon the mussels on top of the paella.
- Sprinkle the parsley on top and serve with the lemon slices or wedges.