1kg chicken breast fillets
1 - 2 loaves unsliced white bread
cashew nuts to garnish (optional)
fresh coriander leaves to garnish
½ cup plain yoghurt
1 tblsp olive oil
the juice of 1 lemon
1/2 tsp turmeric
2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp cumin
¼ tsp ground ginger
2 cloves garlic cloves, crushed
salt to taste
1 onion, finely chopped
2 tblsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 small piece fresh ginger, finely grated
½ tsp ground fenugreek
½ tsp ground cardamon
1 tsp garam masala
45g cashew nuts, finely chopped
2 tblsp tomato paste
¾ cup water
2 tblsp honey
1 cup cream
3 bay leaves
5 curry leaves
- Mix all the marinade ingredients together and pour over the chicken fillets.
- Marinate and refrigerate for 8 hours.
- Place the chicken in a roasting pan with the marinade and roast at 200°C for 10-15 minutes.
- Cut the chicken fillets into bit size cubes.
- Sauté the onion in the oil until soft, add the garlic & ginger, fenugreek, cardamom & masala, and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the ground cashews, tomato paste, water, honey, cream, bay leaves and curry leaves, and simmer to a creamy consistency.
- Add the chicken to the sauce and allow to heat through.
- Cut the bread into quarters or bigger depending on how hungry your guests are; hollow out the bread leaving a thick wall and bottom.
- Spoon the chicken mixture into the bread, garnish with cashew nuts, coriander leaves and place the hollowed out bread at the top.
- Serve with sambals.