1kg mutton or lamb cut into pieces
3 tbs oil
3 green cardamom pods
1 bay leaf
3/4 tsp fennel seeds
3 curry leaves
1 tsp ground coriander
1 green chillies, slivered
1 onion, chopped
3/4 tsp turmeric
2 tsp crushed ginger
2 tsp crushed garlic
2 tsp brown vinegar
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp garam masala
2 -3 level tblsp medium hot mixed masala
3 ½ cups water
80ml cup tomato purée
1 tomato, chopped
3 large potatoes, peeled & cubed
1/3 cup chopped fresh coriander
salt to taste
- Heat oil in a large saucepan and add cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, bay leaf and fennel and stir.
- Add curry leaves, ground coriander, chilli, onion, turmeric, ginger and garlic and saute for 4 –5 minutes.
- Mix vinegar, sugar, garam masala and mixed masala in a bowl, add this to the saucepan.
- Add the meat and mix until meat is coated with masala.
- Cover saucepan and cook on moderate heat until meat is well braises and oil starts to float on the surface.
- Add the water and continue cooking until meat is tender.
- Add tomato purée, chopped tomatoes and cubed potatoes
- When potatoes are cooked and the gravy has been slightly reduced, add the coriander.
Serve with rice and sambals or as a rotti filling or in bread as a bunny chow.
Serves 4 – 6