1,5kg deboned leg of lamb, cubed
100g blanched almonds or cashews, toasted
45ml sesame seeds
5cm piece fresh ginger, peeled
4 cloves of garlic, peeled
3 onions, roughly chopped
Juice of 1 lemon
15ml ground cumin
15ml ground coriander
2ml ground cloves
6 cardamom pods (optional)
2 cinnamon sticks
200ml Greek yoghurt
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oil in a large pan and brown the meat.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- In a blender, blitz the nuts, sesame seeds, ginger, garlic, onions and lemon juice together to form a paste.
- Heat some more oil in the pan the meat was browned in and fry the paste for about 5 minutes or until golden brown, stirring continuously.
- Add the spices and fry for a further minute or 2.
- Blend the yoghurt, cornflour and water together.
- Return the meat to the pan and add the yoghurt mixture and season.
- Cover and simmer for 1 – 1 ½ hours.