500g lean mince
1 onion finely, grated
1 egg, beaten
a dash of Worcestershire sauce
5ml mixed herbs
a sprinkle of peri-peri spice (optional)
salt & pepper
oil for frying
2 cloves garlic, crushed
30ml olive oil
1 can (410g) chopped tomatoes
15ml tomato purée
30ml chopped parsley
2,5ml dried basil
salt and freshly ground black pepper
fresh parsley to garnish
parmesan cheese to sprinkle
- Mix all ingredients together, divide into equal portions and shape into small balls with your hands.
- Sprinkle lightly with flour to prevent them from sticking when frying.
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan and fry the meatballs until done and golden brown.
- Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Cook spaghetti as per packet instructions.
- In a large pan heat the olive oil and fry the garlic until soft and translucent.
- Add the tomatoes and tomato purée and simmer for a few minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Add the sugar, parsley, basil, salt and pepper.
- Add the meatballs and spaghetti to the sauce and cook over medium heat until warmed.
- Serve and garnish with fresh parsley and parmesan cheese.