30ml olive oil
300g bratwurst, sliced into 2 cm pieces
2 large onions, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 red pepper, seeds removed and diced
2 cans (400g each) whole tomatoes, chopped
500ml vegetable stock
5ml soft brown sugar
1 can (400g) small white beans, drained
a handful of fresh parsley to garnish
- In a large saucepan heat a little of the olive oil and fry the sausages for a few minutes, remove from pan and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil and fry the onions and garlic until fragrant and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the red pepper and fry until tender.
- Add the tomatoes, vegetable stock, brown sugar, season if needed and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add the sausages and beans and simmer for a further 5 – 10 minutes.
- Garnish with freshly chopped parsley and serve with fresh crispy bread.