90g butter or margarine
3 extra large eggs
375ml cake flour
15ml baking powder
Custard Filling & Topping:
20ml custard powder
60g butter or margarine
125ml castor sugar
sliced almonds to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C.
- Heat the milk and butter. Leave aside to cool slightly.
- Beat the eggs and sugar until creamy.
- Sift dry the ingredients and add to egg mixture.
- Add the heated milk and butter to the flour mixture.
- Turn out into two greased 20cm cake tins and bake for about 25 minutes.
- Heat the milk and thicken with the custard powder.
- Boil for a few minutes and set aside to cool slightly.
- Beat the butter and sugar well and gradually add the custard and beat lightly until smooth.
- Fill and top the cake layers with custard and garnish with sliced almonds.
- Allow custard to set and refrigerate.