45ml cocoa powder
80ml boiling water
150g butter or margarine
3 extra-large eggs
500ml cake flour
15ml baking powder
3ml bicarbonate of soda
250ml buttermilk or plain unflavoured yoghurt
60g bar one chocolate bar
100g dark baking chocolate
60ml fresh cream
45ml butter or margarine
- Mix the cocoa powder and boiling water until smooth and set aside to cool off slightly.
- Cream the butter and sugar together well.
- Add the eggs, one at a time and beat well until light and creamy.
- Add the cocoa powder mixture to the egg mixture.
- Sift the dry ingredients and add alternately with buttermilk to creamed mixture.
- Spoon into a greased and lined 24cm loose bottomed cake pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 °C for about 60 minutes.
- Allow cake to stand for a few minutes before removing from tin.
- Cake must be cool before icing.
- Mix all the icing ingredients together in a small heavy-based saucepan.
- Place over low heat and heat until melted completely.
- Spoon over top of cake and leave to set.