2 extra large eggs
10ml instant coffee powder
5ml caramel essence
500ml cake flour
3ml bicarbonate of soda
7ml baking powder
5ml ground cinnamon
15ml cocoa powder
Filling & Icing:
100g butter or margarine
500g icing sugar, sifted
20ml cocoa, sifted
10ml coffee powder
a little milk
- Beat the eggs and sugar together well until light and fluffy.
- Add the oil, buttermilk, water and caramel essence.
- Dissolve the coffee powder with a little warm water, add to egg mixture and beat to a smooth batter.
- Sift the dry ingredients together and gently fold into egg mixture and beat lightly until mixed well.
- Pour the mixture into two greased 20cm cake tins.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 °C for 25 – 30 minutes.
- Turn out onto a cooling rack and cool completely before icing.
- Beat the butter, add the icing sugar and cocoa.
- Mix the coffee powder with a little warm water, add a little milk and mix to a spreadable mixture. (Be careful not to add to much milk as this will make your icing runny).
- Fill and ice the two layers.