1 tsp coriander seeds, toasted
1 tsp cumin, toasted
1 tsp fennel seeds, toasted
1 large onion
4 cloves garlic
8cm piece ginger
2 red chillies
3 lemongrass stalks roughly chopped
2 lime leaves or the zest of one lime
1/2 tsp turmeric
3 Tblsp vegetable oil
400ml coconut milk
500ml vegetable stock
1 Tblsp concentrated tamarind paste
2 Tblsp brown sugar
1 medium butternut squash, peeled & diced
100g green beans
3 Tblsp fish sauce
juice of 1 lime
a handful of coriander, chopped
75g toasted cashew nuts
2 Tblsp pumpkin seeds
500g steamed Basmati rice
- Lightly toast the coriander seeds, cumin, and fennel seeds in a dry frying pan until they become aromatic.
- Using a mortar and pestle, crush the spices to a coarse powder.
- Place the onion, garlic, ginger, chillies, lemongrass, lime zest, toasted spices and turmeric in a food processor and blend until it has the consistancy of a thick, even paste.
- Using a large saucepan fry the curry paste in a little sunflower oil for about 10 minutes, or until it takes on a deep crimson colour.
- Add the coconut milk, vegetable stock, tamarind and sugar to the pan and simmer on a low heat for about 10 minutes or until the sauce thickens, then add the squash and cover for a further 10 minutes. Add the green beans and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Finally stir in the fish sauce and lime juice.
- Garnish with coriander, toasted cashews and the pumpkin seeds and serve with steamed Basmati rice.