1kg steak, cubed
2 Tblsp flour
1 pinch salt
1 large onion, sliced
olive oil, for frying
3 Tblsp brandy
375ml beer cups beer
3 tsp beef stock powder
3 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 Tblsp chopped thyme
250g organic flour
1 extra large egg yolk
1 egg, beaten, for egg wash
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Season the flour well and toss the steak in the flour until well coated.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and brown the steak and onion
- Deglaze the pan with brandy.
- Add the beer, water, stock powder, pepper and thyme.
- Cover and bake for about 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool slightly.
- Increase the oven temperature to 220°C.
- Place all pastry ingredients (except the egg) into a blender and pulse until a dough is formed.
- Remove from blender and knead lightly, shape into a ball, cover and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- Roll onto a floured surface to about ½ a cm in thickness.
- Spoon filling into a 20cm pie dish, top with pastry and cut a small cross in centre of pastry to allow steam to escape.
- Brush with egg and bake for about 30 minutes and serve with mashed potatoes, vegetables and gravy.