1 olive oil, for frying
1 onion, finely chopped
2 leeks, finely sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
5 medium potatoes, peeled & cubed
125ml dry white wine
4 cups chicken stock
125ml cream or full cream milk
1 pinch salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 half lemon, juiced & peel grated
300g frozen mussels, defrosted
1 tsp cornflour, (Maizena), mixed with a little cold water
2 Tbsp parsley, freshly chopped
- Heat a little oil in a saucepan, sauté the onion and leeks until soft.
- Add garlic and fry for about a minute.
- Add the potatoes, white wine, chicken stock and cream or milk.
- Season and simmer for about 20-25 minutes, or until potatoes begin to break up and soup thickens slightly.
- Add lemon juice, grated lemon peel, mussels, cornflour and parsley and simmer for a further 3-4 minutes.
- Serve with fresh bread.