250ml apricot jam
750ml self-raising flour
3/4 cups brown sugar
1 extra large egg
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 pinch salt
250g margarine, softened
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- In a large mixing bowl add the flour, salt and margarine and mix well.
- In a separate bowl beat the sugar, egg and vanilla essence.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and fold in to form a dough.
- Take one third of the dough and refrigerate.
- Press the remaining two thirds of the dough flat into a greased, rectangular baking dish that is about 30cm x 20cm and at least 6cm deep.
- Spread the jam evenly and thickly across the dough.
- Take the chilled dough and use a grater to grate it evenly over the jam.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 40 minutes or until the topping is nicely browned
- Allow standing for 5 minutes, cut into squares before it cools.