250ml cake flour
2ml baking powder
45ml castor sugar
80g butter or margarine
5ml grated lemon rind
2ml vanilla essence
1 extra large egg yolk
75g dried apricots, coarsely chopped
60ml orange juice
500g smooth cottage cheese
125ml fresh cream
180ml castor sugar
3 extra large eggs
5ml vanilla essence
5ml grated orange rind
- Sift the flour and baking powder together into a mixing bowl and add the sugar.
- Rub in butter with your fingertips until crumbly.
- Add the lemon rind, vanilla essence and egg yolk and knead lightly on floured surface.
- Refrigerate for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Press the pastry into the base of a greased 23cm round pie dish or loose-bottomed tin.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 200°C for about 8 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool.
- Reduce oven temperature to 160 °C.
- Soak the apricots in orange juice for about 20minutes. Drain.
- Whisk the cottage cheese, cream, eggs, sugar and vanilla essence until smooth.
- Add the apricots and juice and pour filling into the pastry base.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 40 minutes.
- Reduce oven to 140°C and bake for a further 15 minutes.
- Leave cake in the switched off oven to cool.