canola oil , for frying
8 baby onions, peeled & quartered
2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
600g beef chuck steak, cubed
3 Tblsp flour, seasoned, for dusting
1 Tblsp tomato paste
2 cups beef stock
1 pinch salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 roll shortcrust pastry, ready-rolled
1 dash milk, for brushing
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Heat a heavy-based pot, add a little oil and saute the onions and carrots until golden, remove from pot and set aside.
- Toss the cubed beef in seasoned flour and pan-fry in batches until brown.
- Return onions and carrots to pot and add remaining ingredients. Season if needed.
- Simmer partially covered for about 45 minutes or until mixture has reduced and thickened.
- Cut pastry to fit into 4 small (7cm) ramekins.
- Spoon the beef mixture into the pastry-lined ramekins and cover with pastry.
- Cut a small hole in the centre of pastry and brush with a little milk.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden and crispy.
- Serve immediately with mashed potato, gravy and vegetables.