100g pistachio nuts, unsalted and shelled
200ml full cream milk
2 cups cream
1 Tblsp brandy
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 extra large egg yolks
125ml castor sugar
2 drops green food colouring
- Plunge nuts into boiling water for a few seconds. Refresh in cold water to loosen skins, peel and discard skins.
- Place nuts, milk, cream, brandy and vanilla into a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Remove from heat and allow to stand for 10 minutes.
- Purée the mixture until smooth.
- Beat egg yolks and castor sugar until pale.
- Add a ladleful hot pistachio mixture to the cream and mix well.
- Add the remaining mixture, then return mixture to saucepan.
- Gently cook mixture (don’t let it boil or it will curdle) for a few minutes until it coats the back of a spoon. Stir through food colouring.
- Remove from heat and cool over a bowl of iced water, whisking occasionally.
- Place mixture in the freezer and beat with an electric beater hourly until it forms a smooth ice cream.