2 medium apples, peeled & cored
60g butter or margarine
125ml light brown sugar
125g butter or margarine
160ml castor sugar
5ml vanilla essence
2 extra-large eggs
375 ml self-raising flour
3ml bicarbonate of soda
60ml fresh cream
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Slice the apples into quarters and slice finely
- Add 60g butter to a heavy-based saucepan and fry the apples for a few minutes until softened.
- Add the brown sugar and fry for a further 5 minutes until the mixture thickens slightly. Set apples and liquid aside.
- Beat the butter, castor sugar and vanilla essence well together.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until light and fluffy.
- Sift the dry ingredients and add, alternately with the buttermilk to the egg mixture.
- Spread two-thirds of the mixture into greased cake tin.
- Top with apples, leaving a 2 cm border around the edge, cover with the remaining mixture.
- Bake for about 50 minutes or until an skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to stand for a few minutes before turning out onto wire rack to cool.
- Return reserved apple liquid to a large frying pan, add the cream and bring the boil.
- Reduce heat and gently simmer for about 10 minutes until sauce thickens. Pour sauce over cake.