60 ml oil
1 tsp crushed garlic
1 large onion, roughly chopped
80ml cake flour
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1kg stewing beef, cut into 1,5cm cubes
250ml red wine
375ml beef stock
50g tomato paste
15ml chopped fresh or dried mixed herbs
3 carrots, slice thickly
3 potatoes, peeled and quartered
fresh herbs to garnish
- In a large saucepan heat half the oil over a medium heat and fry the garlic and onions until soft and brown, remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Season the flour with salt and pepper and roll the meat cubes in the seasoned flour until well coated.
- Fry the meat cubes in small batches in the saucepan used to brown the onion and garlic, adding more oil as needed.
- After you have browned all the meat, return it to the saucepan with the fried onion and garlic.
- Add the beer, red wine, stock, tomato paste and herbs.
- Cover with a lid, bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer gently for about 30 minutes.
- Add the carrots and potatoes and simmer for a further 50 to 60 minutes or until the meat is tender.
- Garnish with fresh herbs and serve with rice or mashed potatoes.