200g soft butter or margarine
4 extra large eggs
15ml finely grated lemon rind
5ml lemon essence
500ml cake flour
10ml baking powder
250ml sour cream
80ml fresh lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- Cream the butter and sugar.
- Add the eggs one at a time with the lemon rind and lemon essence and beat until light and fluffy.
- Sift the flour and baking powder and add, alternately with the sour cream and milk, to the egg mixture.
- Mix gently until smooth and pour into a well-greased 23cm round loose-bottomed tin.
- Bake in a preheated oven at for about 45 – 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Boil the lemon juice, sugar and water until the sugar has dissolved.
- Remove the cake from oven and pour glaze over cake while it is still hot. Leave cake for a few more minutes in the tin before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.