250 ml sugar
250 ml cooking oil
3 extra-large eggs, separated
10ml caramel essence
500ml cake flour
10ml baking powder
250ml grated raw beetroot
250ml grated raw carrots
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C and grease a 24cm loose-bottomed ring tin.
- Beat the sugar, oil and egg yolks and add the caramel essence.
- Sift the dry ingredients and beat into sugar mixture.
- Add the grated beetroot, carrots and milk and mix lightly.
- Beat the egg whites until soft and fold into sugar mixture.
- Spoon mixture into prepared tin and bake in a preheated oven for about 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, leave to cool in tin for a few
- Minutes before turning out.
- Serve dusted with icing sugar.
Makes 1 cake