4 extra large eggs, separated
125ml castor sugar
60ml self-raising flour
60ml cocoa powder
castor sugar for rolling
Sugar to taste
1 peppermint crisp
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C.
- Beat the egg yolks and castor sugar until light and pale.
- Sift the flour and cocoa powder and add to egg mixture, beating well.
- Beat the egg whites until soft-peak stage and fold into the mixture with a metal spoon.
- Spread the mixture into a lined and greased 23 cm x 32 cm Swiss roll tin.
- Bake in a preheated oven for about 10–12 minutes.
- Remove from oven, leave to cool slightly and turn out onto a clean, dry tea towel sprinkled well with castor sugar.
- Trim the edges to ensure rolling without breaking.
- Remove the paper carefully and roll it up with the sugared cloth, leave it for about 5 minutes, then unroll and leave it to cool further.
- Beat the cream and sugar until thick.
- Spread over the Swiss roll, sprinkle the peppermint crisp over the cream and roll up.